QuickBooks is famous among small and medium-sized businesses for its advanced features and user-friendly interface. But the fact can’t be denied that it is also prone to many technical glitches. One of them is QuickBooks has stopped working error that comes up with a message, “A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.” It often arises while opening the QuickBooks Desktop application. Corruption in the hard drive and damaged QuickBooks program files are the main prompts of the error. Although, it can be fixed by running the Quick Fix my Program and QuickBooks Program Diagnostic Tool. Continue reading the article to follow the detailed troubleshooting procedure.
If you are looking for direct assistance to eliminate QuickBooks has stopped working error, then call us on our toll-free number +1 800-579-9430 and communicate with the certified QuickBooks expert’s team
Possible causes of QuickBooks not responding when opening
Learning the factors that lead to the error is important to fix the error from the root. We have listed some most prominent of them down-below, have a look:
- There is some corruption on your hard drive.
- The Windows operating system is damaged.
- You may have a damaged QuickBooks folder.
- The QBWUSER.ini file or EntitlementDataStore.ecml file is damaged or corrupted.
- QuickBooks Desktop installation and program files may be damaged.
- The name of your QB company file is too long.
Follow the next section of the article to resolve the issue.
Read more :- QuickBooks error 1603
Step-by-step Guide to Fix QuickBooks windows not working error
Down-below are the most reliable troubleshooting solutions that will help rectify the error from the root:
Solution 1. Download QB Tool Hub and put Quick Fix my Program to use
The tool is specially designed to repair and fix program issues within QuickBooks. To run it, make sure you have the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub. If not, follow the steps given below to do so:
- Close company files if open and then exit the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Open the browser on your device and download the most recent version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file somewhere you can easily find, such as your Windows Desktop.
- From your desktop, double-click the setup file to open it and start following the instructions given on the screen to install the tool hub.
- Mark the agree to the terms and conditions checkbox to finish the installation.
- Go to your desktop, double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon to open it, and choose the Program Problems tab.
- Click Quick Fix my Program and wait till it repairs the program.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and then your company file.
Solution 2. From the QuickBooks Tool Hub, make use of the QuickBooks Program Diagnostic Tool
The tool will help you resolve issues related to Microsoft components. Follow the steps given below to know how to run the tool:
- If closed, reopen QuickBooks Tool Hub by double-clicking the icon.
- From there, select the Program Problems tab and click the QuickBooks Program Diagnostic Tool.
- Let the tool diagnose issues with Microsoft components that QuickBooks uses.
- Once the repair completes, restart your device and open QuickBooks.
Solution 3. Repair the damaged QBWUSER.ini file
You might get the error if your QBWUSER.ini file is damaged or missing. To fix the damage, you need to rename the file. Renaming the file will remove the list of previously opened QuickBooks company files. So, you need to open your company file again manually. The following steps will guide you through the renaming process:
- Locate and open the folder that has your QBWUSER.ini file. If your folder is not visible, enable hidden files and folders by following the steps listed below:
- Open the System Tray on your desktop and click the folder icon to open File Explorer.
- Click the View tab and choose Hidden Items.
- Change the name of the QBWUSER.ini file by right-clicking on it and adding .old at the end of the file name.
- Once done, change the name of EntitlementDataStore.ecml file and restart QuickBooks Desktop.
If QuickBooks opens after renaming the QBWUSER.ini file or the EntitlementDatastore.ecml, open a sample company file.
If you can open a sample file but not your company file, shift the company file to a different folder and open it from the new location.
If you can’t log in to the file even from the new location, it might be because of damage. So, we suggest restoring an earlier backup.
We hope our article on QuickBooks has stopped working error helped you resolve the issue. If you still have any queries about the same, contact the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our customer service number +1 800-579-9430. They will be happy to clear all your queries.